Wednesday, August 8, 2007

(Re)tired phrases


Howdy, folks. I just spent a good five minutes sitting here, trying to come up with some pun with "Wednesday" that I haven't already used. I think I'm officially out, because the closest I got was some stupid and contrived bit with "say when" involved.

Speaking of that, can we officially put some things to rest? I know I lack the authority to truly make good on the items I'm about to propose, but please humor me. I'd like to institute a rule that when someone is pouring something and says, "Say when," the response can no longer be, "When." I realize that may have been funny at some point, but it's too standard now. I usually say, "Right after this drink!" a la Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School." I think my co-worker Rob says, "8:30!" but I don't know what that's from. I would only accept the word "when" in response if it's in another language, because that might be funny (especially sign language, I think). "When" by itself in English is played out though, so let's retire it here and now.

I just thought of another comeback that went from funny to too-standard. "Repeat after me: I, state your name..." You all know what comes after that, right? That's the problem. Humor should never be that obvious. If you know someone's going to say something and they know that you know that they're going to say it, why bother at all?

Wow, I think this might end up being a Wacky Wordy Wednesday after all. I had a whole topic to go over, but I'm kinda on a roll now. Look out, everyone, I don't know if there are brakes on this thing.

I thought of another! From now on, when someone says, "Call me crazy," you are not allowed to jump in with, "You're crazy." It's been done too many times and simply isn't funny anymore. If someone has to pause and wait for you to interject with the requisite comeback, it gots to go. Clear and simple.

Hmmm, here's one that I don't want to retire yet. Even though it's almost automatic for some people, it's nowhere near as prevalent as the other ones above. For me, if someone uses "surely" in a sentence, I should still be allowed to say, "Don't call me Shirley." That one's still funny to me, while I don't think anyone still considers "When" or "You're crazy" humorous. Also, "Airplane" is such a classic movie that it should almost have exempt status.

In my opinion (and please feel free to disagree), the only time humor can be that predictable but still funny is with slapstick. That's not my type of comedy, but even the most obvious sight gags can still get me. For example, in "Black Sheep," Chris Farley knocks over a voting booth. He punches through the wood to get someone out, then turns to the other booth right next to him. Even though I knew with 100%certainty that he was going to do the same thing and punch through that one too, it still made me laugh. Similarly, if you think people getting tackled hard is funny once, it will still be funny throughout "The Waterboy" with Adam Sandler. I can't explain it, but slapstick seems to be immune to the shortcomings of the super-obvious joke.

(Interesting-to-me sidenote: The book, "Slapstick" by Kurt Vonnegut has the same effect on me. I know exactly what's going to happen from having read it close to ten times, but it still gets me ever time. I know this isn't exactly the same thing, but hopefully the parentheses give me some leeway here.)

Ok, time to switch gears a little bit from should-be-retired automatic comebacks to should-be-retired phrases in speech. I know you all must have some phrases out there that you'd love to see disappear. Two quickly come to mind for me. First, you know what phrase I'd like to see go the way of the dodo? Yes, something "going the way of the dodo." It's not very common at all, but I hate it. I fully realize that it's an extinct bird, but what's wrong with "T-rex" or any other dinosaur for that matter? Anyone out there want to stick up for that phrase?

The second phrase that should be playing shuffleboard at Shady Pines is "jump the shark." This was a brilliant idea at first. For those of you not familiar with it, the term is defined on http://www.jumptheshark.com/ as, "A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on...it's all downhill." The name is hilariously taken from the episode of "Happy Days" when Fonzie jumps over a shark on water skis. Here's the problem with it: people jump to saying something jumped the shark way too quickly. On the site, they talk about how adding a new character out of nowhere (like the daughter on "Ally McBeal" or Cousin Oliver on "The Brady Bunch") can cause a show to jump the shark. People are allowed to nominate shows, and "Heroes" is on there for introducing a character's wife. It's the first frickin' season! They're not adding someone because they think it's stale, they're just adding to the story. Similarly, 761 people think that Boone's death on "Lost" caused it to jump the shark. 102 people think that Magnum's death in "Magnum, P.I." did the same thing, but I'm pretty sure he died in the very last episode, so that doesn't even make any sense.

Do you see why we need to retire this phrase before it really runs itself into the ground? Any time there's a story line that people don't like in a show, they rush to that phrase, and I'm sick of it. If it must remain in our language, then we should only be allowed to use it when a show is completely over. That way, I can say that "Alias" really j'd the s when they got too deep into the Rembaldi crap. I think I could handle that.

Ok, gentle readers, it's time to put your fingers where your mouth is. Wait, that didn't come out right. It's time to comment, I mean. I just know that you have automatic comebacks and annoying phrases that you want forcibly removed from our language. May this be your forum.

Last but not least, today is our friend Laura's birthday. There's a song by NOFX called "August 8th" in which they say, "August 8th is a beautiful day" many times throughout. I hope that's the case for all of you. Shaloha, and I'll see you back here tomorrow. Happy Birthday, Laura.

9 comments:

Laynie said...

Okay. I think these everyday phrases (that initially sounded great when they appeared) are way overused...Think out of the box...Let's touch base...and 24/7. I admit to using all of these, but I'm trying to cut back.

Anonymous said...

I nominate to retire the following phrases that seem to take over the workplace:

1. "on the same page" (ex. "I called this meeting to make sure that we're all on the same page about our goals in writing this mission statement.")

2. "let's talk about this offline" (ex. "Let's not waste everyone's time by discussing this point that doesn't involve anyone else. Let's talk about this offline later.") Since when is meeting in person called "online"?

3. I second laynie's nomination of "let's touch base."

4. using the phrase "staff retreat" when you really mean "lock yourself and 15 other co-workers in a room all day to discuss mission statements and put a zillion sticker dots on giant flip charts." That's not a retreat! A staff retreat is where you and fellow co-workers go bowling or sailing or play beach volleyball one afternoon. No mission statements. No flip charts. No voting.

Paul said...

I'm really tired of "a win win situation", "nothing personal" (when you mean something directly personal), and "let's do lunch".

Also, Slapstick is my favorite kind of humor. I still can't hold it in when I see the Three Stooges smack each other with 2" X 4"'s or Steve Martin hitchhiking 20' or Woody Allen trying to explain a poorly written bank robbery note.
I know it's corny, but I think that's humor to the max.

co-worker Rob said...

The 8:30 line comes from a Mel Brooks classic. Here's the youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHp1iLCxCQ8

As for when Alias did that thing that we're no longer going to mention, I strenuously object to your assessment. (That’s right, I strenuously object – so you have to acknowedge me!) I enjoyed that there seemed to be no limitation to Rambaldi's power and mystery. Solving his puzzle is what kept my interest in that show.

In my opinion Alias did that thing we're no longer going to mention when they gave Sloane the keys to the Apple Store. Really? A convicted felon running your black ops division?!? That’s the best man for the job?

Boy Scout....out!

Laynie said...

Also overused, in my book, are the expressions "what goes around comes around" and "it is what it is."

PK said...

Excellent suggestions all the way around, everyone. I'm just glad "gentle readers" and "shaloha" didn't find their way onto your lists...
Wendy, I must admit I use "on the same page" at work fairly often. I hope we can still be friends. And Rob, you're absolutely right about the Alias headquarters looking like an Apple Store. But if you're honestly saying that the Rembaldi giant red ball and zombie attack thing didn't signify the downslope of that show, then we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
Oh yeah, I don't particularly like "agree to disagree" either.

Anonymous said...

If I had written this in a more timely manner I would have included: Elayne's "24/7", Wendy's "on the same page", Paul's "nothing personal" and Peter's, "agree to disagree".

Other phrases that irk me are "have a good day" & "how are you?" ,when you know that the other person is not really at all interested in how you are doing and doesn't give a shit that your favorite pet turtle just died that morning!

The phrase that irritates me the most recently has to be the overuse and misuse of the word "challenge/challenging". This word is used to include a child with disabilites (mentally challenged), the difficulty of a cross word puzzle or task, the type of ski run, the phrase one uses playing scrabble when you think your oponent is wrong to the phrase used when 2 men are fighting over a woman "I challenge you to a duel at sunrise". I think that I actually might hate that word!

As far as a TV show adding in characters, my favorite soap opera does this constantly. There is always a character's long lost cousin showing up or a person who has been dead for years coming "back to life". And, my favoirte - the ilegitimate child who was given up for adoption at birth reappearing! But, with MY show I think we should give them some slack, since they have been on TV for 37+ years!

Oh, one more - when making plans with someone, "that works/doesn't work for me".

Are we on the same page when I tell you that I've had a challenging day while trying to touch base with people on my "to do" list. (<---another phrase I don't like) an am very irritable? Oh well, it is what it is and tomorrow is "another day".

Shaloah!

Melodie

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'll still be your friend, Peter, even though you say "on the same page." I was just reading another blog that brought up the topic of annoying, overused phrases, and I can't believe I forgot this one: "Pick your brain"

Ew!

Proud Brother said...

I am guilty of saying that things are "good to go" far too often.
"Okay, just fax the papers back over and we are goot to go."
"I'll join you for lunch. Just let me fire off this email and I am good to go."
"I just finished gas-ing up the car, I'm good to go"

Annoying, huh?