Friday, December 1, 2006

Beating the odds


Another entry into the blogosphere. In the biggest upset since UCLA spoiling the Trojans shot at another national championship, I'm here with more musings. (By the way, that football game is tomorrow, so feel free to reflect upon my sports pre-cog ability as something "truly special.")

Here's what's on my mind right now: My friend Twilight is having a birthday party in a week. They're apparently making karaoke a component of the party and have asked people for requests of what they'd like to see on the song menu. I've done karaoke four times in my life. Three of them were pretty standard:


  • I sang "Paperback Writer" by the Beatles with a friend at a bar mitzvah when I was 13

  • "When Doves Cry" by Prince with my buddy Scott at a Sweet Sixteen when I was 16

  • A loungy version of "Like a Virgin" with my brother when I was probably 20 for an audience of maybe 5 people

The fourth was not so standard, and since I had the most fun with it and got better reviews, it's skewed the way I've viewed karaoke ever since. My friend Jon and I (notice I never do this alone) sang "Burning Down the House" in gibberish. All made up words except for "burning down the house" and "fight fire with fire." It was great - the confused looks from people who couldn't understand what we were doing ("The words are right there on the screen!") were priceless. Sure, I sounded a bit like the Swedish Chef, but whose gibberish doesn't?


(Sidenote: Should I be capitalizing 'gibberish'? I know it's a made up language, but it's still a language. Does one write 'Pig Latin'? Probably, because 'latin' looks weird. I'm starting a movement on this. Plenty of good seats still available on the bandwagon.)


So here are my options: I can either skip the karaoke part all together - the leader in the clubhouse right now - and just watch others ham it up, find a good and funny song that I can "sing" normally without having to have any kind of singing voice, or find a song that I can do something special with like the BDtH example.


Option 2 is slightly difficult. I can maybe get my one of my friends to sing "If I Had $1,000,000" by Barenaked Ladies with me. I could sing "Punkrock Girl" by the Dead Milkmen quite easily. Or...nope, that's all I've got right now.


Option 3 is super difficult. I don't want to do BDtH again, even though I have some ideas on how to make it better (i.e. audience participation). I could do a stalker version of Richard Marx's "Right Here Waiting" to leave everyone with that creepy feeling. Nothing evokes that better that saying "I will be right here waiting for you" with a clenched jaw and wide eyes. That would get old a third of the way through it though.


That's where I am right now. Mentally. Physically, I'm at work and have to start doing actual work. Messed up priorities, I know. So, I'd ask for advice, but that would require people reading this...that's a tricky one. Well, they don't call me Balls-Out Natalie for nothing. Any advice?

No comments: