Friday, December 19, 2008

The great fire debate


It is morning and it is good, therefore I feel completely justified is wishing you all a good morning. We are now more than halfway through December, so the frenzy should peak and fizzle within the next week or so. And drizzle. Fo shizzle.

I've got a story to tell, so I'm just going to jump right into it, ok? About a week ago, a colleague was telling me about a Victorian home that he's renovating back east. During one part of his monologue, I (uh oh) thought of something. He said that there was a problem with the chimney, and that the company he's using employs a "little person" to get in there and fix some of the masonry. Instead of getting stuck on the more fascinating part of that story, I posed another question to myself: How many times a day must a chimney worker put up with Santa Claus references? I thought about it for a while and concluded that it must be very, very often. "Gotta make sure Santa can get down," "Maybe Santa got caught up there," etc. Especially during this time of year, I imagined the number to be quite high.

I posed this question to the folks in my office, and there was a pretty wide scope of opinions. First, a young lady named Jamie said that it probably only comes up once a week. I got visibly frustrated with her answer and told her that we "just fundamentally disagree on this issue." I asked another co-worker, and he said, "Well, let's say they go on eight house calls a day per day...I'd say five or six of those mention Santa Claus." I went to my boss and asked him how often he thought St. Nick came up to a chimney professional. He thought for a moment and said, "Fifty." "Fifty?" I asked. "Think about it," he continued. "Every time they talk to someone on the phone, every time they tell people at a dinner party what they do, Santa Claus comes up because that's what people associate with chimneys." "Or Mary Poppins," Jamie added. I argued that if someone specifically said that they were a "chimney sweep," then yes, Mary Poppins might come up. However, during December in particular, Santa was the main man. In fact, when Jamie found the California Chimney Sweep Guild website, two of the five men in the photograph actually look like Santa Claus. That's gotta help the odds, right?

I brought this up to a few friends over dinner, who promptly called me an adjective that rhymes with "metarded." I asked them what percent of business interactions involve a Santa Claus reference for chimney professionals. "Fifteen," one said. I said I thought it was closer to eighty, and they so violently responded to that suggestion that I probably put my hands up in self defense. We talked about making a wager on it, setting the over/under line at 50%. I said I would call three east coast chimney companies and average their numbers. I was the only one of the four of us to take the over, while the other three looked at me like I was crazy and took the under. What did we bet? Nothing. The food came, and we dropped the discussion and forgot to get back to it.

It's a good thing too, because when I'm wrong, I'm very wrong. A couple of days ago, I called three different chimney companies, and here is what transpired:

1. New England Chimney Sweeps, NY:

Peter: Hi, I have a rather odd question. I was wondering how often Santa Claus comes up in your daily interactions with clients or potential clients.

NECS: Not too much.

Peter: Oh. If you had to put a percentage on it, what do you think that would be?

NECS: Maybe about 5%.


2. Mr. Chimney, NY:

Peter: (same opening question)

MC: Never.

Peter: Never?

MC: (more emphatically) Never.


3. American Heritage Fireplace, Chicago

Peter: (same opening questions)

AHF: No, people don't like Santa this time of year.

Peter: (incredulous) They don't?

AHF: Nope, it reminds them of spending money. He doesn't come up at all.

Peter: Nothing about, "So Santa can make his way down the chimney?"

AHF: Nope.


I don't know how I could be so far off. If I were anywhere close to my projections, I'd wonder if I needed to tweak the way I was asking. But these numbers don't lie (at least with this small sample size). If my math is right, that's an average of 1.67% of the time that St. Nick comes up. I was shocked, disappointed, and even a little saddened by this. "People don't like Santa this time of year" is the biggest crock of shit I've heard all week. Are the chimney professionals all tired of the nonstop Santa references and have unilaterally agreed to pretend that they don't exist? That seems like a very involved scheme, so probably not. I'm puzzled though. My boss suggested that the sample size was not statistically relevant and that we should hire a team of fifty people to make outbound calls to 20,000 chimney workers. Jamie, of course, wants to call those same three companies back and ask them about Mary Poppins. Dear readers, what do you make of all of this? Am I that out of touch with reality or is there some master plan to keep Santa references hidden from non-chimney workers? It's gotta be one of the two, right?

Here's a random item before I move on to the penultimate Car Watch of '08. It's been long known in my circle of family and friends that I enjoy making faces in the mirror. In fact, I've often said in the past that if I could get paid to make faces in the mirror for eight hours a day, that would pretty much be my dream job. I have some good ones, I assure you. Anyway, one thing bothers me about a few of the faces I've made, and I'm here to share that with you. Whenever I have a face in either the angry or perplexed category, I furrow my brow. I get a crease between my eyes when I do that, which is fine, but it's not centered. It's closer to my right eye than my left, and that lack of symmetry really bugs me. Oh sure, one might argue that it makes the face better because it adds a little character, but I'm a big fan of symmetry and prefer it when it comes to my face. If I'm squinting one eye or curling one side of my upper lip, those moves are partially defined by the other side not being affected. I realize I'm trying to apply something resembling a scientific method to making faces in the mirror, but should I ever get the call from some billionaire who wants a big screen of someone constantly making faces in the background of his/her home office, I want to be as prepared as possible. Maybe that would even be considered art, and visitors to the office would then commission me for side projects or themed parties. I really think I'm onto something here. Ya know, once that billionaire calls.


Now it's time to gather 'round the fire and see what the Car Watch put in our proverbial stockings.

First off, I was next to a truck on the always-exciting 405 freeway, and I did at least a double take at the company's name: Wide Awake Roofing. I almost don't know where to start with this. I mean, is that really their unique selling proposition? I can hear the commercials now: "Are you tired of hiring people to put a new roof on your house, only to find that they spend most of their time with heavy eyelids? Here at Wide Awake Roofing, our workers are not just awake - they're wide awake! Every roofing professional on our staff has demonstrated the ability to be - and stay - awake for hours at a time! You'll never catch our guys sleeping on the job. You won't even find them sleeping at night. With the advent of energy drinks and caffeinated water, being wide awake is more than a job - it's a way of life. Wide Awake Roofing - not sleeping while putting on shingles since 2005. Call now!"

My homey Rockabye sent me a license plate that he saw: "NODUMY." At first, I was rather ho-hum about it. Then he told me it was on a Smart Car. Ah, I see. Now it makes sense, and good sense at that. I like it. It took a little thought and was executed well enough that no one is (hopefully) sitting there think, "What's a nod umee?" Therefore, it's a-ok in my book. Hell, it's even b-ok.

My friend Dusty got in on the action and sent me this license plate that he spied: "BUY JUNK." I wasn't sure which way to take this. My best guess is that this person purchases things that others no longer want and somehow turns a profit on them. If that's the case, then why would this person command the rest of us to do the same? Isn't that just unnecessarily creating competition? And maybe I'm in the minority here, but I prefer to purchase quality items so stop telling me what to do. Geez.

Last but certainly not least, here's a link for you to check out in your spare time. My Bratty Kid Sister sent it to me, and it's an article that explores possible "modesty plates" (instead of vanity ones - get it?). It's rather amusing, so take a look: http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/lists/13LucasKlauss.html

And with that, we're outa here. I'll be back here next Friday, but in that intervening week, we have a whole lotta stuff going on. Let's attack this chronologically, shall we? Tomorrow is my favorite brother's birthday and my good friend Jon's birthday. Sunday is not only my homey Rockabye's birthday, but also my grandparents' anniversary, the beginning of winter, and the beginning of Hanukkah at sundown. Wednesday is my friend Ozzie's half-birthday, and Thursday is both Christmas and the annual Klein Christmas Day Gathering (complete with grab bag). Get your rest folks, for that week's a doozy. Maybe even two doozies. As always, you can write me at ptklein@gmail.com with anything at all. Happy everything to everyone, and I wish you all very warm and healthy holidays. I'll be back here on the 26th if I can tear myself away from all my new toys. Shaloha.

13 comments:

Laynie said...

As far as Santa in the chimney goes, I guess you are, indeed, out of touch with reality. But now, thanks to you, when I think of chimney maintainance, I will think of little people 89% of the time.

Paul said...

Those chimney people were lying to you. I'm sure that they get Santa references ALL the time.
I think I'll call some local companies here in Los Angeles and get back to you. Maybe we left-coasters aren't as angry as the chimney people on the right-coast.

Sue said...

Hey Pete I guess you'll never sign up for Botox as that would ruin your possible future career options. Tomorrow is a big day for the Goldsteins (aside from the fact it's also our daughter's birthday) as it marks the start of a 35 year friendship with your parents. So Happy Holidays to all Kleins and their assorted loved ones.

Paul said...

O.K. a poll of the few people in the office regarding the Santa thing. Bryan 30% "The Jews in Los Angeles bring the percentage down". Don 100% "If not more". Margie 10%. Dave 10%.Me 50%.
AAA Sweep for One - Hardly ever.
Above All Chimney Sweep - Not as often as you'd think, maybe 10%. Fiddler on the Roof Receptionist - Only once in 4 years. Mr. B the Chimney Sweep - "All the time. I even bring a piece of red cloth with me so when there are kids around, I pull it out and say....Hey it looks like Santa was trying to get in here.
The Chimney Sweep - Suprisingly less than you'd think, maybe 10%. My conclusion is 3 out of 4 Chimney Sweeps lie.

PK said...

Thanks for checking that out, Pops. I wish I could feel vindicated that one out of the six polled chimney companies responded as I expected all of them to, but I'm still just stupefied and think they're all liars. "Only once in four years" is just a bold-faced lie. If I ever get a chimney and need it cleaned, Fiddler on the Roof isn't getting my business despite the lure of Jewish folklore.

Anonymous said...

Um, Sunday is also the day you will get the first of the 8 best eails of your life.

PK said...

That's right - I totally forgot. BKS is hands-down the best Jewish holiday e-card giver I've ever known. I can hardly stand the excitement.

Proud Brother said...

They must just get crank calls all the time and have little patience for the "metarted" phone calls.

By the way, when they say "little people", do they dress them in green outfits, pointy ears and little hats? That would rock.

Anonymous said...

Peter - thank you so much for the birthday shout out. Happy holidays to you and all of your readers. Your loyal and faithful reader and your homey - Rockabye

Anonymous said...

Damn you Las Vegas and your free Alcohol!!! I intended to come up with a dollar amount for the over-under, but I was distracted by my food, the lousy country band and the semi-attractive women riding the mechanical bull. No way those factors would have fazed me without the free drinks.

Vegas would have laughed us out of the building had they known the line was set at 50. I might have hesitated to take the under if the line was 10, but 50 was an absolute lock.

Proud Brother said...

So I guess you can report back to your boss that 50% was mildly off target.

Anonymous said...

Moded.

Let's not forget that Peter's initial guess was 85%, and at seeing our unanimous violent and explosive reactions, he dropped the over/under to 50%, at which we percussively scoffed.

2 out of 3 of us actually make house calls for a living, (and 1 is a jew who doesn't know from Santa) so that gives us an unfair advantage. We know that 90% of housecalls are simply spent making love to lonely housewives (right Laynie?). Small talk about the ostensible purpose of your visit seldom comes up, if ever. Like maybe once every four years.

I'd also like to add that the "B" in "Mr. B" stands for Baloney. He was obviously messing with a prank caller. 6 out of 7 in the 0 to maybe 10% range clearly establishes the reality that Peter to this day fails to recognize.

Laynie said...

Right Tslug. Works for me.